Sunday, October 19, 2014

Week 9: Famous Last Words - Accepting Defeat

I'm still recovering from my weekend. I was in the homecoming assembly (Wizard of Oz group, black chick in the front - maybe you saw me!) which was pretty darn exhausting, and don't even get me started on that devastating game Saturday. It just was not my boy, Money-cutt's day. But I've moved on from that! I mean, it's not like I've been sulking all weekend, dreading facing my co-workers on Monday (who, despite the fact that they live in NORMAN, are predominantly Pokes fans.) Nope, I've put on my big girl pants and I'm taking the advice on one Mr. Daniel Radcilffe.

Is there anything we can't learn from Harry Potter? (source: Flikr)
 
Anyways, all dashed Big 12 Championship dreams aside, this week has had a lot of highs and lows. This week has really been all about learning to accept defeat. I finally decided to cut my losses and go ahead and drop the Biochem class that has been plaguing me all semester. The thing was, since I changed my major to Biology Pre-PA (oh hey, guys, I changed my major to Biology Pre-PA) I didn't actually need biochem anymore and since I wasn't doing well in it (which is an understatement) the only thing it would do for me was drag down my GPA. I stuck it out as long as I could, but man, Kenny Rogers got it right when he said "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away." So again, I was forced to don my big girl pants and make a decision. That was bittersweet because though I hate, hate, HATE to admit defeat, not having that class killing me everyday is a huge weight off my shoulders. Now that midterms are basically done, I'm living in a sort of eerie calm until the next wave of tests hits. Hopefully, this time around will be less stressful as I am hoping to try out some new study techniques...and hopefully stay on top of my work so I don't go into that I have-a-week-to-learn-five-chapters-of-material panic. Remember, guys: all study tips are appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Jada, I wouldn't necessarily call your change admitting defeat. I think the true defeat would be staying with a major that keeps you from feeling fulfilled. Plus, I've heard plenty of Dr. Sims biochemistry course this semester. A close friend of mine, who I consider brilliant, is struggling in that course. I do not think you have any reason to doubt your decision at all!

    ReplyDelete